When: 7.00pm-8.30pm, Wednesday 16 February 2022
Where: Zoom (Link available after registration)
Who: Goldstein Community
Have loved ones in aged care been abandoned by this Government?
Failure to provide medication, food and water has become the reality for too many aged care residents. Meanwhile, experienced aged care staff are quitting in droves because their working conditions have become untenable. The situation has so deteriorated, that worker’s unions are calling for the army to be deployed to alleviate critical staffing shortages.
This crisis is the inevitable outcome of decades of gross systemic neglect, dating back to the Howard era. But the situation has grown immeasurably worse under the current Federal Government’s watch.
Meanwhile, basics, like food budgets, have been slashed. In one example, a $6 daily food budget has led to ‘staggering malnutrition’.
Taxpayers are footing astronomical bills for these market failures, while too many aged care residents suffer neglect under the watch of private providers.
The situation has become so bad, Human Rights Watch has been forced to issue reports on Australia’s maltreatment of aged care residents.
After a lifetime of hard work, our elderly have the right to age with dignity.
Zoe Daniel, independent candidate for the Federal Seat of Goldstein, wants to hear from you: about your concerns and needs regarding aged care and how to reform this.
Join us at this forum to share your experiences, and discuss ways forward; to effect tangible change that will deliver the quality of care our aging loved ones deserve.
Panel Convenor & Facilitator: Zoe Daniel, Independent Candidate for Goldstein, Journalist, 3 time Foreign Correspondent and former ABC Washington Bureau Chief
- Judy Tucker, Director of a Home Care Agency, former Aged Care Facilities Manager, Case Manager, Consultant in Aged & Clinical Care Advocacy, State Registered Nurse
- Sharon Burleigh, Pastoral Care Practitioner in Aged Care
- Dr Sarah Russell, Public health researcher, Principal Researcher at Research Matters, Director of Aged Care Matters
- Sara Hardie, Former Registered Nurse now Educator, small business owner (training videos) and administrator caring for her elderly parents
- Deb Stuart, CEO Central Bayside Community Health Services
MC: Sue Barrett, Zoe Daniel’s Campaign Operations & Communications Manager and Founder & CEO, Barrett Consulting Group