This story by Rachel Clun & Olivia Ireland first appeared in The Age on 28th November 2023.
Nearly 10 years after her son Luke was killed by his father, Rosie Batty says it can feel as if little has changed, with reports of women and children being murdered by their husbands, partners and fathers reg-ularly in the media.
‘‘When I sit in front of the news and I see there’s another fatality … I don’t think anything’s changing,’’ the former Australian of the Year said. ‘‘I’ve been standing up in front of the Australian public for nearly 10 years: this is exhausting, it is over-whelming, and it is disheartening.
‘‘When I ﬁrst lost Luke, I didn’t realise how difﬁcult and how long change would take.’’ But she still believes ending violence against women and children is possible.
Activism against Gender-based Violence campaign, which started on Saturday, and call for additional federal government funding and action.
Goldstein MP Zoe Daniel said 51 women had died this year as a result of intimate partner violence, and statistically another seven would be killed before Christmas.
‘‘This, in my mind, is a national emergency,’’ Daniel said.
She acknowledged the government had done more work in the past 18 months than previous governments, including creating a national 10-year plan to end family and domestic violence, but said more funding was critical.
‘‘The facts are before us. We have a plan. Let’s fund it in order to actually achieve the aims of the plan,’’ she said.
Asked about the issue in question time by Daniel and Warringah MP Zali Steggall yesterday, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said he was proud of the work the government had already done, but added the whole of society also had to respond.